Key findings about the digital fan experience
When it comes to sports content—whether through OTT streaming or broadcast channels—the Deloitte Fan Experience survey found that:
- The single most important factor for sports fans remains the quality of the broadcast or stream.
- Sports fans who stream also value viewer controls and functionality such as the ability to select the main view or announcer set for your stream.
- While sports content is a major part of the total broadcast and streaming media consumption, fanatics spend up to three times more than casual fans on streaming, and 1.5 times more than casual fans on broadcast.
- Sports streaming remains a social experience, though the desired experience depends heavily on demographics and the sport in question.
- Overall satisfaction was only 39 percent for the broadcast and OTT experience, leaving significant opportunity for continued technological advancement for fans looking to consume sports across devices and integrate augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR), social media, and gambling into their viewing experience.
Ultimately, improving the broadcast and OTT experience has the potential to improve overall fan satisfaction, resulting in increased opportunity for better financial outcomes. In fact, more than 60 percent of fans surveyed related a great broadcast experience to becoming more engaged with the team and being more likely to both watch and attend a game, and nearly 40 percent felt closer to team sponsors.
To donwload report CLICK HERE.